Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: ZL1 fuel pump dead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ZL1 fuel pump dead?

I went to start the G8 last night and normally I would hear the fuel pump prime. I bumped the starter and it tried to start but stopped instantly. The fuse in the trunk was burnt. I tried using another fuse, and still no fuel pump. I checked that fuse and it was still good. I'll have it towed home this morning.

I need to find out how to power the pump to see if it works. If it doesn't?

Is the CTSV pump enough to cover my fueling requirements without the Boost a pump?
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if the ecm shuts off the starter if the fuel pump relay isn't responding.

Underhood fuse block FU8 is a 40amp fuse for the starter relay (R12), R 14 is Ignition Main. Fuse F12 in trunk shows fuel pump relay fuse. Instrument Panel fuse block shows R5 as being a fuel pump fuse in its description also.

As far as fuel pump goes... injectors? E85? Estimated power? I'm probably 550 with no e85 and have plenty of pump. I think Carl had previously said that a V pump and vaporworx controller (which isn't necessarily a booster, just a pwm controller) was good to the mid-upper 600 mark.

Edit: If you have HPTuners, I believe the Scanner has a function where you can command the fuel pump on.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 09-27-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pete. I'll check out all the fuses when the weather clears. I think I'll sell the vaporwox stuff.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ray,

Is the fuse in the trunk one that is used for a VaporWorx controller?

If so, can you send or post a photo of it and the fuse holder?

If it is a VaporWorx controller, to test the pump just use a jumper wire from Bat + to Pump + and the pump should go to full pressure, 88psi for the ZL1.

Post Thanks / Like

Carl,

The vaporworx controller is still in the box it came in. I'll try and get a test light on the problem today.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ray. I just want to try and help diagnose the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got a look at the car. The Boost a pump fuse was also blown. It's a glass fuse and stuck in the holder. I'll chase down all the wires to make sure I have no contact anywhere and replace the fuse holder.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Finally got a look at the car. The Boost a pump fuse was also blown. It's a glass fuse and stuck in the holder. I'll chase down all the wires to make sure I have no contact anywhere and replace the fuse holder.
    Ray do you have an idea what caused them to pop in the first place? What's the amp rating on those fuses? I wouldn't think the bap would draw any extra under cranking conditions so I guess I'd struggle to see why it exceeded 20 amps (or whatever the fuse is rated at). I'd hope for a short, but a seized/shorted fuel pump would also cause this mess. Hopefully not a short under the hat, but it's a possibility I suppose.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Ray do you have an idea what caused them to pop in the first place? What's the amp rating on those fuses? I wouldn't think the bap would draw any extra under cranking conditions so I guess I'd struggle to see why it exceeded 20 amps (or whatever the fuse is rated at). I'd hope for a short, but a seized/shorted fuel pump would also cause this mess. Hopefully not a short under the hat, but it's a possibility I suppose.
    The bad fuel pump caused the fuse to blow.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ZL1 fuel pump that nearly new, 500 miles on it I'll sell cheap